I need to ask you all for a small favor.
For the past nine months or so, I have been working on building sustainablesushi.net into an informative website where people could obtain up-to-date scientific information on the sustainability of their favorite sushi items, as well as express their views on various phenomena growing out of the realms of sushi and ocean conservation. I’ve been thrilled to watch the readership of this blog display slow but steady growth throughout that time.
Moreover, sustainablesushi.net has attracted individuals that represent the leadership in a number of the fields related to this subject — marine biologists, commercial fishermen, aquaculturists, and even sushi chefs have found their way to the website. These folks represent a wealth of information that we can all benefit from.
That being said, I’ve been slow to foster more discussion in the form of comments. This is a bit of a letdown as I strongly believe that the best way to grapple with the complicated issues addressed on this website is through open discussion and debate. Unfortunately, I feel that I have largely failed to create an environment where readers feel comfortable adding their views and engaging in conversation with me and with one another.
As such, I have decided that it would be best to open the floor up to my readership. The multiple choice question below represents some of the ideas I’ve already had. Please feel free to suggest more than one option.
All I ask is that you bear two points in mind:
- I maintain my own website
- I know virtually nothing about how to maintain my own website
With that caveat, I’d love to know your thoughts on the following questions:
1) What are the best/worst parts of this website?
2) What would encourage more reader participation and discussion on this website?
- Enabled anonymous postings (no need to login to post a comment)
- Video updates (VLOG entries)
- Increased focus on restaurants (provide matrix for readers to conduct and submit sustainability-based reviews)
- Blog articles to close with question(s) designed to kickstart discussion
- Other (feel free to suggest something)
Thanks so much for your input. This website is still in its formative stages, and while I’m certainly very proud of how far it has come, I have no doubt whatsoever that there is still a tremendous need for improvement. After all, sustainability is dynamic… and websites need to be sustainable as well.
I look forward to your comments.